The All Progressives Congress in Ekiti State has challenged Governor Ayodele Fayose to explain to the people how he spent the N2billion ecological fund received last December from the Federal Government.
It said even though the governor had tried on many occasions to deny it, facts available suggested that he had actually collected the money.
The party raised this allegation in a statement by the State Publicity Secretary, Taiwo Olatubosun, on Sunday in Ado-Ekiti.
But Fayose has challenged the APC to release documents to support its allegation, accusing the party of writing fictions to criticise the governor.
The APC said, “We want to challenge Governor Fayose to tell Ekiti people how he spent the N2billion Ekiti ecological fund he collected on December 30, 2014.
“On that day, N10 billion was released to five states, among which are Bauchi and Ekiti states, that collected N2 billion each.
“Bauchi State Governor, Isa Yuguda, has already told the people of his state the projects to be executed with the money. Instead of Governor Fayose to do the same, immediately he collected the money, he jetted out to Dubai for days without any indication that he had gone there officially on behalf of Ekiti people.
“It was later Ekiti people learnt about the lavish lifestyle of the governor in the galleries of highbrow hotels and merry-making centres in the bustling economic hub of the Middle East.”
Olatubosun said denying ever collecting the ecological fund on state television was no longer tenable in the face of incontrovertible evidence that the Governor actually collected the money, including the refunds of money former Governor Kayode Fayemi spent on federal projects in the state.
“Fayose denied ever collecting refunds of the money Fayemi spent on federal projects in the state. Four days after Fayose made this denial on the state television, the Minister of State for Works, Prince Dayo Adeyeye, said publicly at President Goodluck Jonathan’s campaign rally in Ado-Ekiti that the Federal Government had refunded money spent on the federal projects executed by Ekiti State government, including Ado-Ifaki and Ado-Akure roads.”
Olatubosun alleged that APC later learnt that Adeyeye was scolded for making that public disclosure.
“Why are they crucifying Adeyeye for saying the truth? Even though we don’t want to believe that our governor was part of ‘January rush’ acquisition of prime properties in Dubai, his unofficial journey to Dubai for a whole week after collecting the money raises our fears that Ekiti State might have run into trouble again after difficulty to resolve the alleged N1.3 billion poultry project fraud over which the EFCC had taken the governor to court,” he added.
The APC spokesman said it was sheer act of wickedness and insensitivity to continue to owe workers’ salary after collecting September allocation and other refunds running into billions.
But reacting, Fayose’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr Idowu Adelusi, challenged the APC to release documents to support its allegation.
“They are the ones alleging, we challenge them to provide all the documents relating to the release of any money from the Federal Government to the state.
“We are not in a Banana Republic, all financial transaction between the FG and other tiers of government are always made public, even through newspaper advertisements.
“The APC said the money was paid on December 30 last year and that it was then the governor left for Dubai. The fact is that the Govetnor had left the country days before the date they quoted.
“You pressmen working in Ekiti State, you were at the stadium when the President came to campaign, was there any comment or statement by Prince Adedayo Adeyeye that any refund has been made to the state on federal roads? You know that nothing of such happened.
“They are still dazed by the electoral misfortune of last year and their woes will be compounded during next month’s polls when they will lose woefully,” he said.