No fewer than three civilians were killed over the weekend by the dreaded Boko Haram sect in the remote north of neighbouring Cameroon.
A defence ministry source told AFP on Tuesday, November 11, that the insurgents attacked six communities.
The source who spoke on condition of anonymity said: “Six attacks were carried out almost simultaneously on Sunday,” adding that at least three people were reported killed in the attacks.Most of the fighting was said to have taken place around Kolofata and Fotokol, two districts close to the Nigerian border and have been often targeted by the extremists.
Cameroon has reinforced its military presence in the region in a bid to stop an escalation in attacks by Boko Haram.
According to Cameroon’s Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary, the army had “inflicted heavy losses” on Boko Haram in recent weeks.
UN regional chief Abdoulaye Bathily said Tuesday he was “extremely worried by the impact of Boko Haram on some countries in the region, notably Chad and Cameroon”.
Boko Haram’s five-year insurgency in Nigeria has left thousands dead. They have also extended their attacks to neighbouring countries like Cameroon and Chad.
Last month Cameroonian military had reported killing hundreds of Boko Haram fighters in separate raids.
Meanwhile, U.S. embassy in Abuja has condemned the incessant attacks on defenceless civilians in North East Nigeria this past week.
By Edos News